Saturday, December 28, 2013

The Wrong Side of History?

The following may not be suitable for children . . . sorry it is so lengthy, but this topic is hard to discuss without using a lot of words! 

Image from www.lds.org. 

I believe in traditional marriage, and I stand firm in support of it, despite constant and continued opposition. I am allowed my opinion, and I am allowed to defend my views as part of my religious beliefs -- especially as an American citizen. I am also allowed to feel this way and not be labeled discriminatory, hateful, or intolerant.  You can call me those things, but it does not mean that I am. Don't instantly label me just because my beliefs are different from yours -- isn't that how tolerance works?  

It would appear that "tolerance" is only meant to be extended one way -- and it does not seem to be leaning towards religious views and beliefs. Those who have religious reasons to support traditional marriage are meant to be tolerant towards what we view as immoral behavior, while there is zero tolerance extended towards our cherished beliefs and views of defending marriage as a sacred union between a man and a woman. The word tolerance is overly and improperly used -- way too often. Am I the only one getting tired of it? 

We who support traditional marriage are meant to bow down and accept defeat in defending our cause, and we are expected to admit we are in the wrong for what we believe. Tolerance of religion seems to be diminishing with the times. Tolerance for everything else seems to be winning. 

Don't judge. Don't hate. Just tolerate! 

This "battle" (if you want to call it that) is getting awfully close to home. I read an article this morning describing the fight for marriage "equality" currently taking place in the state of Utah. It was stated that those who support traditional marriage are, "Defending discrimination," and "On the wrong side of history."

Wow. Just wow. 

It never ceases to amaze me the cunning use of words used to persuade the masses through the media. For goodness sake, I don't want to be on the wrong side of history! Maybe I should bend my beliefs and do what everyone else is doing? Maybe I should change my beliefs so I can be on the winning side? I certainly don't want to be known for defending discrimination! Yikes! 

I am concerned. I am growing deeply concerned. This is a strange time we live in! I find myself weary of this ongoing battle already. This war of words and courtroom battles, what is the final outcome of this war? What comes next? 

Even now I struggle for the right words to say, as I know I will be viewed as hateful or intolerant for expressing my personal convictions and beliefs. For me my biggest fear resulting from this frenzied-battle is that those who believe in God and His laws will be made silent. We will not be free to express our beliefs and our convictions, because they are in direct opposition to the way that society is trying to force us to believe, and accept as  the law of the land.  We are meant to accept immoral behavior as social equality for all. This is not a good direction to be headed. 

The real problem is, a large percentage of society doesn't even know what the word "immorality" means. And immoral behavior -- behavior contrary to God's laws -- is glorified and made attractive and enticing through all forms of media. We are repeatedly exposed to messages of, "Whatever feels good, whatever you want to do -- do it!"

Ideas and laws have been twisted, so those who try to defend their religious views sound like the ones who are crazy for not supporting marriage equality. Equality, tolerance, discrimination, hate -- these words ring from the rooftops of the Courtrooms, and wave high on the banners -- striking fear into the hearts of those who disagree. It is baffling. It is meant to be baffling and confusing -- these are the ideas of mankind we are working with here, not God's ways.  

If you are afraid, if "Politically Correct" words scare you, remember to replace your fear with faith. God is in charge, don't forget that! 

No matter what happens, we who are being silenced cannot be silent! If you have a voice -- no matter how small -- you should express your beliefs and convictions and let people of like mind know that they do not stand alone. It may feel like you stand alone, but you don't!

I believe in traditional marriage. I also believe in God, and that He has laws and commandments set in place that we are meant to try and follow. I know there are many who do not have the same beliefs as I do, and it would be hard for them to see the world through my religious perspective. All they see from me is intolerance towards my fellowman, and that is simply not the case. I love all of God's children -- some more than others, it's true, but I do try to love. 

Let me clarify something real quick . . . there is something that comes up a lot when I write posts like this one, and it is the question of wondering how I can fight against the individual people involved: friends, neighbors, members of families -- good people! The answer is simple. I LOVE them! 

It is not the individual who struggles with physical tendencies and attractions towards the same gender that I oppose. No, it is the individual that I LOVE! I recognize that we all have struggles and tendencies that we battle with while we dwell here on earth. I have my own weaknesses that seem to keep me from the person I wish I could be. We all struggle. But that does not mean we need to embrace our tendencies and make them the whole of who we are. We should not identify ourselves by our tendencies. We are children of God! We are capable of so much more than that.

From my own experience with physical tendencies, I have battled with my weight. I always have, and I know I always will. It is on my mind ALL the time -- from morning until night. You could even say I was "born that way" -- destined to battle the bulge for a lifetime. (At least it sure feels like it!) But just because I am inclined to eat everything in sight, it does not mean I should let my physical overeating tendency win the battle of who I really am as a daughter of God. 

I will always and forever fight against my human frailties and inclinations towards things that are not good for me. It is possible to overcome our weaknesses, people prove that time and time again. Whether or not we want to overcome -- or embrace -- our tendencies, is completely up to us! Whether those tendencies are overeating, same-gender attraction -- or anything in between -- it is up to the individual whether or not we let it control us, and define us.

So, again, to make it clear -- to the individual who struggles with same-gender attraction, I want you to know, I love you! You are my brother, you are my sister. I do not battle against the individual who lives with same-gender attraction, I wish the best for them, and would hope they could come to a place of peace and happiness in life. And allow God to help you through your struggles, as I rely on Him to help me through mine. 

Where the Church Stands: The experience of same-sex attraction is a complex reality for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is. Even though individuals do not choose to have such attractions, they do choose how to respond to them. With love and understanding, the Church reaches out to all God’s children, including our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. For more go: HERE

So, although I love the individual with same-gender attraction as my brother or sister, and I have great empathy for them, I cannot support the political groups and the movements legalizing behavior that is against the laws of God. It is not out of hate and discrimination that I cannot support these movements, it is out of love and a desire to support the loving relationships that God has defined as His way -- marriage between a man and a woman. 

As one who loves family history, all you have to do is look at a family tree to see how God's plan for the family works. It is not complicated, it is the circle of life that continues on and on through the ages to Eternity.  It is God's way for His children, it is His divine way. Family is a divine institution.  Marriage between husband and wife is a sacred relationship that should be valued and protected. I believe that with all my heart, and everything that I am. 

I know it is hard to understand, but the only way to understand where I am coming from is to understand my belief system, and that would take a lifetime. Go to: www.lds.org for more information.  

When it comes to defining marriage, I support marriage between a man and a woman. It is not about hate, or intolerance, or discrimination -- it is about my basic and fundamental religious beliefs, and doctrines, regarding marriage. It is out of a desire to defend the laws of God and not man, that I stand for. None of this should be in the hands of the government to deal-out judgment, but it is, so it is the battlefield on which we have to work things out. 

I offer my very small and insignificant voice in support of traditional marriage between a man and a woman. If you stand for traditional marriage, I want you to know that you are not alone! It may feel like all the world is against your beliefs, but there are still many who stand firm in support of traditional marriage and God's laws. 

I believe the time for courage has come. It will only become harder with time, and it is best to know where you stand, and to stand steadfast and immovable in your faith -- no matter how many worldly and political battles are lost. They may all be lost before the final battle is won. So take courage, there is a larger plan at play here. Trust God and look to Him for guidance. 

I felt strongly about this today, for some reason, and I wanted to write my views down. We can let God determine who is on the "wrong side history". It is for Him to decide the final outcome. It is God's history books that count. Whether I am on the wrong (or right) side of history -- I will leave in His hands. 

If you are struggling with your feelings on the topic read this: HERE  

2 comments: