Tuesday, October 8, 2013

General Conference, Answered Questions, and Hats



General Conference was AMAZING! In all of my 33 years of watching Conference, I believe this one was something special. The speakers seemed to address so many issues/problems/questions that people face -- in such a spot-on, in depth, and personal way. It was truly a breath of fresh air. 

I follow world news a lot, and so much of it is awful, depressing, disgusting, and disheartening. So many people dwell in a state of such terrible confusion and doubt -- or at least that is how the news would portray it. Sometimes after I read the news, I feel a sense of sadness. Even though I know of the great things to come, and God's plan for His children, my heart aches for the degradation of society, and the lack of morals and virtue. 

But in this General Conference, my mind was put at ease as some of the issues of society were confronted head-on, and in a powerful way. As I heard the words of truth, it bolstered my courage, and my resolve to do, and be better. Listening to pure truth is powerful. My heart was touched by the Spirit, and it permeated my soul with a desire to serve and love God even more deeply. 

I am just so grateful for the topics that were addressed with such wisdom and power, yet the speakers were so personal, and their messages were spiritually edifying.




Some of the topics that were addressed were: 

  • Doubt your doubt, before you doubt your faith. (My new favorite quote!) 
  • Depression (with Jeffrey R. Holland describing his struggle with it. He is a super-hero of mine!) 
  • Same Gender Marriage (Which the church cannot, and will never condone.) 
  • The Value of Women, and how truly glorious they are!
  • The Power of the Priesthood, and how we all have access to it. 
  • The Divinity of Motherhood
  • An invitation for all those who have left the church to come back, because we need you! 
  • The Eternal Importance of Families. 
  • The reality that men and women are different, and that it is a beautiful thing! 
  • It is OK to have questions about the Church, but approach your questions with faith, not doubt. 
  • Family, family, family! We need to strengthen our families! 
  • Being a "Homemaker" is not outdated, and we need fiercely powerful and diligent Women in the home. 
  • Service is the key to true happiness
  • God loves us, no matter what. 
There was so much more, I cannot wait to get my hands on the talks. Watching the speakers is fantastic, but I love to read over them, too. And the messages from this Conference are so straightforward and awesome, I am sure I will be using the material for many, many, years to come! 

I love being a Mormon! 







Hat Making...

We made hats while watching all 4 sessions of Conference. We are working on hats for the Women and Children's Shelter. We made a lot of progress during the 8 hours of Conference. I think we should be able to reach our goal of 100 hats this year. (We deliver them in December.) 


If there is anyone who wants to help make hats for the Shelter, we would love to deliver as many as possible! We will pick a Monday night in December to deliver them. 

If you want to learn how to make hats let me know, I would be happy to teach you! (It is SUPER easy, using a Loom.) If my children can do it, so can you! Let me know if you are looking for a way to give a little service, it is not stressful, at all. We usually nestle in at night, watch an episode of The Cosby Show, and whip out a hat while laughing hysterically (The original Cosby Show was FUNNY!). It is a nice relaxing thing to do at the end of the day. 

Let me know if you are interested in hat-making! It is really FUN! And you can whip them up for your own family, too! 


4 comments:

  1. Conference was awesome! Tyson and I also noticed how the topics addressed many things that are going on right now, of immediate importance. We talked about it on a walk we took after the sessions. It is nice to hear the leaders of the church reaffirm our beliefs in a powerful and loving way. They don't change with the times, So grateful for this bi-annual uplifting and motivating time to listen the Lord's servants. I may take you up on your hat offer. Tyson and I are always looking for ways that we can help our boys to look outward and serve others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Mari.
    I love making hats and have done for worthy causes before.
    It warms my heart to see your family doing it together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we lived closer and you could show me how to make hats! It looks like such a fun thing to do together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. totally agree w/ all you wrote about conference! So inspiring! I've been listening to a talk every morning this week when I get ready for the day (before kids get up) It really 'centers' me. Focuses thoughts in the right direction. So much good to be done.

    Hats? Me, make a hat? Now that's funny! But, w/ your encouragement and some good Cosby shows, I may just consider it. I did let you teach me how to get into indexing, so......maybe there is hope for my crafty/techy talents to be developed.

    I love that you family makes the hats together. great togetherness and service activity! well done Sister!

    Love,
    Kary

    ReplyDelete